Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Crazy People

Rewind: 15 years back

I studied in a government school. The classes were under thatched roofs (proper buildings now) and it was a common wall which separated two different classes. If three of us would bang the wall once it would fall down completely. Such was its strength. One side of the wall polished and painted in black served as black board. The other two sides of the class would be open. Natural light, natural air…! My class was near the small play ground and all the time all my vision used to be in the ground on other students coming for the PT classes. At any given point of time, the small ground will be occupied from morning to evening with some or the other class students. This school has a different concept of co-education. The school was only co education, not the classes. The class would either be full of girls or full of boys. And the small ground is meant for girls to play coco, rings, badminton etc…That way having the class near the small ground I have almost seen the entire population of girls in our school. Not only me, everyone in my class except the first two rows! These girls are of the kind that when out of school we spot them in public places like railway station, bus stands, tuition centers and say a hello; they don’t respond to us. We were aliens…! For them, the natives were matriculation school boys. They were considered brilliant. Holy cows, there were people from matric schools for whom I have taught mathematics and computers!!

During school days, the uniform would differentiate who is from which school! And holidays were the only respite for us that we could go around in color dresses. Everyone would be in colour dresses. But, our competitors in matriculation schools were so intelligent that they go around with their ID cards in public places. And that’s the height of craziness, show off…seeking priority in everything! In a way the society paved the way for this. The school’s association had an effect on us. Government schools are considered third grade…! So naturally the matriculation guys would want to distinguish themselves to take advantage on everything.

Playback Now:

My office is located in the IT capital of India – Electronics City, Bangalore. All the top named Indian IT companies are around my office campus. There are few crazy employees. I call them crazy as they are always seen around with the ID cards tagged in their neck. In tea shops, road side chat shops, hotels, public bus stands and everywhere. As per my understanding, the ID card is purely for official purposes and a proof of the organization’s association with the employee.

This is a very common scene in the airports, especially Bangalore. When the check in or the security clearance seems like delaying their boarding, the very next step is they tag their ID around so that they would get some priority. Fair enough. Understood the situation…!

Once I was in the city railway station and I saw a guy and a girl with their ID cards displayed. I was amazed on why they had to wear it in a railway station. The time was 11PM then! Fine… Okay…

Once, it was early morning 4AM. The train had just arrived in Tiruchirapalli railway station, south TamilNadu. There was a girl alighting from the train sporting her company ID around her neck. What the heck!!! Why during early morning 4AM!!!?

Once in Tiruvalla and Chengannur railway stations in Kerala, once in Koyambedu bus stand, Chennai in the night. And the recent one is when I was travelling back after the holiday season. It was Sunday night 11:30 PM. This guy was not even wearing the ID around his neck! In one hand he had his luggage and in the other hand he held his ID by showing his organization’s identity. I was thinking if any preference or tie ups is present between the bus and the organization. At that time in the night, returning back from holidays, why is that he had to display it to all the passengers. It’s a good and popular and trendy organization he works for. But why does he want to show off at that time and place. He was walking inside the bus to and fro 2-3 times. I felt it as the height of craziness! The best part was all the passengers did not even bother to notice him. I, to show my hate toward that attitude just pulled on the blankets covering my face while he was near my aisle seat.

All these people were from that one particular set of companies. The glorified ones in India…! Not all…!

When I tell these to my colleagues they tell more and more of the same kind. Absolutely insane stuff! I could only relate these to what I had experienced in school. Getting a feel that people don’t grow really!

Seeing all this, I make sure as soon as I make the last swipe in office I remove and put my card inside the bag. I just want to be myself. When out of organization I am one among the one billion in the nation. The common man! And I would like to remain the same. I don’t want to be associated as a person who holds some position in some company. I don’t see anything to do with the associations around me. I want to know if this is some kind of phobia..! I don’t understand this behavior. Is this the way an individual is valued…!!!

Next time I am going to ask someone why the %$#& is that they wear the ID all the time! I doubt whether they will wear their marriage rings / mangalsutras like this! Crazy people…

2 comments:

Sivaguru M said...

I have seem people wearing their ID card in airport and they continue till they reach their destination. My only understanding is they may have amnesia where in if they take it out they may forget themselves. That is the only reason i can think about. Sivaguru

R R R said...

machi...well said...this post is honoured in having an acknowledgement from a HR...